Saratoga township is located in Township 13 North, Range 8 East. It has three towns: Broadmoor, Camp Grove (established in 1902 when the railroad arrived), and Saratoga Center.
The first house erected in the Township was by Malachi HILL in about 1836. It stood on Section 27, by the side of the old Galena road, on Senachwine Creek, near where a bridge spanned that stream. The stages ran past here several years. The farm was sold to George SCHOLES in 1849.
The first settler on the north side of the Township is believed to have been a man named FORD, who made some improvement on Section 2, on land since owned by the widow of J. COONEY, in about 1840.
The next place opened was near by, on Section 3, now the property of J. D. HATFIELD.
Next in order came Jonathan DAY's farm, on Section 3, about 1845.
J. and S. DIVILBLISS came in 1849 or '50, settling on Section 24, at the east line of the Township.
William D. LOUDER improved the south-west quarter of Section 22 in 1850.
Archibald McVICKER and his son David improved the south half of Section 14 in 1851.
The school section (16) was improved by Mr. STOUT, Stephen FRY and Arch. H. ELSON.
John C. TOWNSEND, Isaac TORRY and Peter SMITH came on the same Section about 1856.
S. CARTMELL made his farm on Section 10, and Richard TYRRELL on Section 3 between 1853 and '55.
Thomas JAMESON bought an improved place from J. CLARK on the now HATFIELD farm, about 1851.
The settlers who came into the west side of the Township were John BOLAND, who located about 1852, near his brother, G. BOLAND, who subsequently sold to LOMBARD.
All the west side of the Township was then Congress land and unentered.
Artemas WHITMAN, in 1852 or '53, improved near Andrew KLINE's, on Section 18, and George W. KLINE on Section 27.
John McNAMARA commenced his labors on Section 15 in 1854, and Patrick about the same date.
O. MARTLAND, afterward of Lacon, lived on Section 15, near the School Section, in 1853, and Mason SEELYE opened a farm on the same Section about the same time.
C. CAMERY stuck his stakes on the north-west quarter of Section 14, in 1854.
James CARSE on Section 11, in 1853.
Miner T. JAY on Section 28, and William LETTON near the former, both in 1852.
Hugh McVICKER arrived here in 1854.
P. DEYO opened a farm on Section 6 about 1855.
B. L. LOMBARD and F. BOVINGER's places were improved by J. and G. BOLAND.
A. SEICHTER bought his farm, on Section 2, from Mr. CARSE.
J. and R. HALLOCK came here in 1859, and improved part of Section 5.
W. SCHOFIELD opened his place, on Section 6, in 1858-9.
William OWENS improved Section 7 about 1860.
B. G. HOWES, " " 7 " 1855.
J. H. MERRILL, " " 8 " 1854.
J. E. NOYES, " " 8 " 1852.
G. T. COLEMAN, " " 10 " 1857.
H. HULCE, " " 10 " 1857.
D. D. BOND, " " 15 " 1854.
F. and D. YAEGER, " "11 " 1860.
C. HUFFMAN, " " 12 " 1857.
F. J. HIGGINS, " " 12 " 1860.
M. HARTLEY, " " 12 " 1860.
R. and D. McDONOUGH, " 9 " 1855.
William JONES, " " 21 " 1853.
R. HARRISON, " 8 " 1854.
Josh. CASTLE, " " 17 " 1855.
J. S. ESSEX, " " 16 " 1854-5.
J. BUCHANAN, " " 13 " 1857-8.
J. GREENLEE, " " 14 " 1858.
W. LAWLESS, " " 20 " 1855.
D. HOLMES, " " 24 " 1855.
Fred. REINBACK, " " 24 " 1855.
M. P. SIMS, " 20 " 1855.
P. LAWLESS, " " 29 " 1855.
A. P. WEBBER, " " 28 " 1855.
Thomas DOYLE, " " 27 " 1856.
Joseph RAY, " 26 " 1855-6.
H. G. BREESE, " " 25 " 1855-6.
James BEAKS, " " " 25 " 1855.
J. H. BELL, " " 25 " 1860.
The farm of the latter was improved by Thomas HENDERSON, in 1855.
Julia JACOBS improved Section 26 about 1855. She was formerly
Mrs. MARTIN, and her husband run the ferry at Lacon many years ago.
J. G. CARSON improved Section 34 about 1857-8.
H. R TRIM, " " 34 " 1856-7.
William M. RICKEY " " 36 " 1855.
William Marshall, " " 35 " 1860.
The latter's farm was previously improved by James GORDON, in 1852.
Extracted from Records of the Olden Time
The following list of names transcribed from the 1890 map may not be complete. As always, we welcome corrections and additions.
BOCOCK, A E
BOCOCK, W C
CAREY, Peter V
CARSON, J G
CLARK, G M
CONOVER, G T
COOPER, A S
COTNEY, M G
COULTER, William C
DIVILBISS, Samuel, heirs of
DIXON, J, heirs of
ESKINE, E D
FARIS, Robert, heirs of
FOUTS, Nancy A
FRANCIS, R J
GUYER, M E
HALL, J Q
HOLLER, S B
KING, F M
LAW, Lura F
LYTLE, C W
MARTIN, W C
McMANUS, A J
McMANUS, Anna J
McVICKER, J D
MELICK, J A
MONIER, John, estate
NOYES, J E
ROWE, W A
SCHOFIELD, W S
SCOVILLE, H, heirs of
SEELYE, T Alfonzo
THOMPSON, J S
TOWNSEND, J S
TOWNSEND, W J
TRIM, H R
WEBBER, A P
WEIR, Mary E
WILSON, J B