Marshall County
ILGenWeb

Washburn

History

This town lies on the southern border of the county, twelve miles from Lacon, being in Woodford county, with the exception of two additions made by the original proprietor March 7th, 1856, and July 22d, 1857. It is in the Half Moon Prairie - an old-settled region, where Rob't Barnes, Esq., was the first to drive the stakes of civilization. He came in 1830, and was soon followed by others. The settlement, however, had not so increased as to make the founding of a town advisable, until the fall of 1853, when twenty acres were laid off into lots by Hiram Echols, with a reservation of half an acre for religious purposes, on which a Baptist church was built in 1854. The place was at first named Uniontown; afterwards Mantua, by act of the Legislature during the session of 1856-7; and at the subsequent session the name was changed to Washburn, to correspond with that of a post-office removed thither from a neighboring farm-house.

The first house on the site was a small log cabin, owned by T. W. Smith, put up there shortly after the town was laid off. A number of buildings, including the church, were erected in 1854 ; a commodious edifice for a graded school was built in 1857 ; and there has been some increase during every year. At present the town contains about two hundred inhabitants, and has two stores, one drug-store, several shops, and other branches of business.

Transcribed 04 Feb 2012 from History of Putnam and Marshall Counties, by Henry Allen Ford, 1860


Visit Our Neighbors
Bureau Putnam
Stark La Salle
Peoria Woodford
Search the Archives