Pattonsburg receives its name from Nathan Patton, who came to the neighborhood in 1836. Several settlers, including Col. R. F. Bell, Jas. Martin, the Benningtons, and others, had previously located in that region, some arriving as early as 1832. The village is situated in Belle Plaine township, six miles east of Washburn, and is a single short row of lots on the east side of the road, which is here called Broad street. It was laid out March 13th, 1856, by "Father Patton." It contains about a dozen houses, with a post-office, store, the usual shops of a country settlement, and a population of 30 to 40.
Transcribed 04 Feb 2012 from History of Putnam and Marshall Counties, by Henry Allen Ford, 1860