In 1856 Ahab Keller visited Wenona and made arrangements for
regular preaching in the village. He organized a class of six,
of which Solomon Wise was appointed leader. For about two years
the Methodists, by the courtesy of the Presbyterian brethren,
were permitted to hold their services in the Presbyterian
In the spring of 1859, under the administration of B. P. Wheat, the erection of a church was planned. The enterprise was difficult, as the Society was small and weak financially. During the summer the building was enclosed. In the fall the Society was connected with Tonica. J. G. Evans was in charge of the work. The building was plastered in the fall, used in an unfinished state during the winter, completed in the spring and dedicated in April by O. S. Munsell, D. D., President of the Illinois Wesleyan University.
In 1865 Wenona was made a station, and the Sandy M. E. Church became the center of a new charge, under the name of Wenona circuit. Since then the two charges have been maintained separately, each supporting its own pastor. There is an aggregate membership connected with the two churches of about two hundred, being perhaps more than double the membership of any other denomination represented in the Township. The congregations at both churches are large, the Sunday Schools good, and the societies prospering under the administration of the present pastors.
Extracted 23 Feb 2014 from Records of the Olden Time