A Methodist Society was organized in 1850 by Rev. Samuel
SMITH. Thomas HUFF was the first class leader. He suffered from
consumption, and atter a time was succeeded by Amos F. LEIGH.
About eight or nine persons constituted the class. They were:
Amos F. LEIGH, Thomas HUFF and wife, Mrs. HAY, Mrs. William
HART, William HANCOCK and wife, and Nancy HULL. The result of
this Society was the buildiug of La Prairie Center Church in
1859, costing $1,825 when complete, of which amount the LEIGH
family contributed the sum of $900.
In 1860 a famous revival took place in the church, Rev. Samuel SMITH officiating, and one hundred converts were added to the membership. The church was dedicated in the spring of 1861, by Elder RITCHIE. Rev. George IRWIN was the last minister in charge.
Extracted from Records of the Olden Time