Richard WAUGHOP, who in former years was identified with general agricultural pursuits and now lives in Henry, was born in Portsmouth, Virginia, October 8, 1830. His father, Richard WAUGHOP, Sr., was also a native of the Old Dominion, and was a ship carpenter by trade. In 1825 he married Miss Eliza WILLIS, of New York. To them were born five children: James, Rebecca, Richard, Amos and Eliza. The two oldest and the youngest of these children died during childhood, and Amos in 1892 at Decatur, Illinois, at the age of fifty-nine years. Thinking to enjoy better business opportunities in the middle west, Mr. WAUGHOP came to Illinois in 1834 and settled in Tazewell county, where he followed the occupation of farming. His wife died in 1835, at the age of twenty-eight. Mr. WAUGHOP was married again in 1837 to Miss Mary BOWMAN, and to them were born eight children: Mrs. Lizzie WILMOT, of California; Dr. J. W. WAUGHOP, who was superintendent of the hospital for the insane at Steilacoom, Washington, for sixteen years and died on shipboard en route from Honolulu to the United States in 1903; William, a retired farmer of Bloomfield, Iowa, who died in October, 1906; Virginia, who died in 1877; Franklin, of Manchester, Iowa; George, professor of ancient language in Mt. Union (Ohio) College, who died in 1876; Amanda, who died in childhood; and Mrs. Caroline VanPETTEN, a missionary in Japan since 1881. Mr. WAUGHOP, Sr., lived in Tazewell county for forty years, his death occurring in December, 1874, at the age of sixty-nine years.
Richard WAUGHOP, of this review, was only four years of age when brought by his parents from Virginia to Illinois. He acquired his education in the early schools of Tazewell county and worked upon his father's farm until twenty-three years of age, when he left home and came to Marshall county, settling in La Prairie township, where he engaged in farming on his own account. He at first bought eighty acres of land, which he increased to one hundred and sixty. This he sold when he removed to Whitefield township in 1865.
In 1857 Mr. WAUGHOP married Miss Mary C. BONDURANT, daughter of Isaac and Marcy HAY BONDURANT, of Kentucky. She came with her parents to Washington, Illinois, when a child. Mrs. WAUGHOP is a lady of superior intelligence and culture, and in early life engaged in teaching. To Mr. and Mrs. WAUGHOP were born four children: Clara Belle, at home, who taught school several years, attended Eureka College and is prominent in church work. Isaac Willis, a farmer, married Miss Susie JACOBS in 1880 and has two children, George and Effie, and one grandchild, Opal SALE. Marcie, a graduate of Eureka College and a special student of Wellesley College (Massachusetts), taught in the public schools a few years, was principal in the Eureka (Illinois) high school four years, and also occupied the chair of English literature in Eureka College. In 1899, during the second year in this last position, she passed away at the age of thirty-one years, deeply mourned by a large circle of friends. Richard Leslie, who follows farming and stock-raising on the old homestead, was married to Miss Estella DECK in 1896. They have two children, Irma and Vada.
In his political views Mr. WAUGHOP is a stalwart republican, who has continuously voted for the party since casting his ballot for Abraham Lincoln. He has served as school director and was collector in La Prairie township, but has never been active as a politician in the sense of office seeking, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs or other interests. He holds membership in the Christian church and has been elder therein for over thirty years a fact which indicates his prominent position in the church and his active and helpful interest in its work. His life has been a busy, useful and honorable one, and now, in the evening of his days, he is able to enjoy a rest which has been justly won and is therefore well merited. He is now the owner of two good farms, one of one hundred and sixty acres and the other of two hundred acres, besides a tract of timber land.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.