The firm name which heads this article [Drs. O. F. & F. C. Taylor] is one well known in Granville and Putnam county and the gentlemen who constitute the firm are widely recognized as leading members of the medical fraternity in this part of the state, having broad and comprehensive knowledge of the principles of the medical science, while in the application of their knowledge they are correct and accurate, thus securing good results in their professional labors.
O. F. TAYLOR, born in Champaign county, Ohio, on the 21st of May, 1843, is a son of E. O. and Elizabeth (GUERNY) TAYLOR, also natives of Ohio. The father was born in Champaign county about 1828 and in early life learned the mason's trade, which he followed during the greater part of his business career. In 1849, when his son, Dr. O. F. TAYLOR, was but six years of age, he brought his family to Putnam county, Illinois, and for three years lived in Hennepin, where he worked at the mason's trade. He afterward spent two years in Magnolia and subsequently resided at Paxton, Ford county, Illinois, About twenty-two years ago he and his wife removed to California, where the mother passed away about 1896, the father surviving until 1900. In their family were five children, of whom three are now living, but Dr. TAYLOR is the only one in Putnam county, the other two being residents of the Golden state.
Dr. TAYLOR, a youth of but six years when brought to Illinois, largely spent the days of his boyhood and youth in Putnam and Ford counties. He attended the common schools and for a short time was a student in a preparatory school in Peoria. He was thus well qualified for further prosecuting his studies along more scientific lines and the years 1867 and 1868 were spent as a student in Rush Medical College at Chicago. He received his diploma from that institution in the class of 1868 and immediately afterward located for practice at what was then called Pellsville, in Vermilion county, where he practiced for seventeen years. On the expiration of that period he went to Omaha, where he remained but a short time, after which he returned to Putnam county, Illinois, and for a quarter of a century practiced his profession in Magnolia. In May, 1906, he located in Granville, where he is now associated with his son in the active practice of medicine.
On the 31st of December, 1867, Dr. O. F. TAYLOR was married to Miss Nellie CLARK, a native of Bennington, Vermont, and a daughter of Decius CLARK, who at the time of her marriage lived in Peoria. There were two children born of this [union.]
Fred C. TAYLOR, the only surviving child, is now his father's partner in business. He is an alumnus of the State Medical College of Indiana of the class of 1894 and after completing his collegiate course engaged in practice in Granville for four years. He was afterward in the village of Florid for some time and subsequently returned to Granville, where he is now associated with his father in the active practice of medicine and surgery. They are practically the only physicians of this place and have an excellent patronage.
Dr. F. C. TAYLOR was married to Miss Cora BLISS, a daughter of the Rev. BLISS, who is now preaching in Peoria. He has erected a very attractive cottage on Hopkins avenue and his father is building a home on an adjoining lot. On the opposite side of the street they have a new office building, which was erected in the spring of 1906.
Dr. O. F. TAYLOR has a creditable military record, having been a soldier of the Civil war. He enlisted in the Fourth Illinois Cavalry in 1863 and served for nearly three years, being on active duty on a hospital boat. He was also engaged in a little skirmish at Pittsburg Landing, but aside from that was in no field service. Being not continuously busy while at the front, he had a chance to see some of the country and was in New Orleans, Mobile and other places and went as far as Cuba. Both father and son are republicans in political views. The father served for six years as president of the village board of Magnolia and for eight years has been county coroner of Putnam county, filling the position ten years when his present term expires. The son has also served as coroner for four years. They are both men of good business ability and in the line of their profession have attained a degree of proficiency which is indicated by the liberal patronage that is accorded them, while their comprehensive knowledge is attested by the excellent results that have attended their labors.
Extracted June 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties