Mrs. Alvina SCHUMACHER owns and occupies an excellent farm on section 2, Richland township, Marshall county. She was born in Germany, in 1863, and her parents were likewise natives of Germany. The father, who was born in 1826, died in that country in 1897, and the mother is still living there at the age of seventy-one years. In the family were seven daughters, two of whom are yet residents of the fatherland, while all are still living.
Mrs. SCHUMACHER spent her girlhood days in her parents’ home and was there trained to the duties of the household, so that she was well qualified to take charge of a home of her own at the time of her marriage to Ernest SCHUMACHER. Her husband was also a native of Germany, born in 1847, and came to America when ten years of age. Their wedding was celebrated in 1885 and they removed to the farm on section 2, Richland township, where the widow now resides. Their entire married life was spent upon this farm and Mr. SCHUMACHER continuously engaged in its cultivation and development, his labors making his fields very productive, while his progressive spirit prompted him to place many valuable improvements upon the farm in the way of substantial buildings and good machinery. He continued actively in farm work until 1901, when he was called to his final rest.
Mr. SCHUMACHER was twice married, his first wife being Julia CLARK, by whom he had two children, Adolph and Ernest, both of whom were reared by his second wife. Unto the second marriage have been born five children: Walter, who is living in Wenona, Illinois, where he is engaged in the grain business; Gerhardt, who is living at home and operates the farm in connection with his brother George, who is the third member of the family; and Alma and Irvin, who are also under the parental roof. Mr. SCHUMACHER was a faithful member of the German Lutheran church, to which Mrs. SCHUMACHER also belongs. He left to his family a good property of one hundred and seventy acres and this is one of the attractive farms of the community, lacking in none of the equipments and accessories of a model farm property of the twentieth century. Mrs. SCHUMACHER has lived here continuously since her marriage in 1885 and is well known in the neighborhood as a lady worthy of the highest regard of friends and neighbors.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.