RIMMELS, Charles L.
Rev. Charles L. M RIMMELS is the present
pastor of the Church of Immaculate Conception at Lacon,
Illinois, and also St. Patrick’s church of Camp Grove, which congregations comprise
over one hundred families. A native of
Germany, at the age of
fifteen years, he came to the
United States, and was educated in the
of St. Vincent at Latrobe, Pennsylvania.
After completing the course in 1869, he was ordained by Bishop
Stephen Vincent Ryan, of Buffalo,
and his first charge was at Dunkirk, New York.
From that state he came to the diocese of
eighteen years ago, and served in various parishes until coming
to Lacon two years ago, succeeding Rev. Father BRYANT, who had
been stationed here for nine years. The school at Lacon is in
the hands of the Sisters of Mercy, and is in a flourishing
condition, having about fifty children in attendance. Father
RIMMELS is entirely devoted to his parochial duties, and has the
love and confidence, not only of his own church members, but of
all who know him.
The Church of the Immaculate Conception was
organized by Rev. Father MONTORI, who came to Lacon once a
month. The first house of worship, a portion of which was of
frame and the remainder of logs, now forms a part of the
residence of Jesse WHITTAKER. The next priest was Father
RINALDA, an Italian, who built the frame church which lasted
until 1867. Rev. Thomas LYNCH had charge of the congregation
from December 31, 1853, until his death, July 15, 1856, and his
remains lie buried beneath the present brick church, while a
tablet in the church wall is dedicated to his memory. The
succeeding priests were Fathers Francis McGUIRE, Mehan, Thomas
OGDEN, Water H. POWER, John N. HARRIGAN, James WALL, E. DELIHANTY, John KILKENNY, P. FLANNAGAN, M. McDERMOTT
and P. J. CAMPBELL, who died while in the service of the church,
and his tombstone in front of the church edifice reads: Rev. P.
J. CAMPBELL, born in Keady, County Armagh, Ireland, May 10,
1839, died May 26, 1877. Rev. Father POWER was then in charge of
the parish for five years, followed by Rev. Father MURPHY, who
is now located at Tecumseh, Nebraska. For the next nine yeas
Father O’BRYAN was here located and was succeeded by Father
RIMMELS of this review.
Extracted May 2011 by Norma Hass from
The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.
Search the Archives