Frederick A. RAYMOND, at one time largely, actively and successfully engaged in general farming in Marshall county, now owns and occupies a tract of land of twenty acres beautifully situated at the corporation limits of Henry and is practically living retired from business cares. His life record began in Burlington, Hartford county, Connecticut, on the 23d of August, 1842, and he is descended from an old New England family. His father, Frederick A. RAYMOND, Sr., was also a native of Burlington, Connecticut, and for some years was connected with the Seth Thomas clock factory, but, thinking to enjoy better business privileges and opportunities in the then young but rapidly growing west, he made his way to Illinois, arriving at Mount Palatine, in Putnam county, on the 2d of March, 1850. Soon afterward he secured land and was thereon engaged in general farming until 1858. In community affairs he was active and influential and served as assessor for seventeen years, having been elected for an eighteenth term just prior to his death, which occurred in 1894 when he had reached the age of seventy-four years and eight days. He regarded a public office as a public trust and was ever faithful to the duties that devolved upon him. His widow is still living and is now in her ninety-first year. In their family were eight children, of whom six are now living: Mary J., the wife of C. M. DAWSON, of Henry; Frederick A.; E. M., who is living in Grand Rapids, Michigan; J. B., a mail carrier in Chicago; Henry R.; and Martha, the wife of Edward WHITE, of Warrensburg, Illinois.
Frederick A. RAYMOND of this review was a lad of seven years when brought by his parents to Illinois. His education was acquired in the district schools of Putnam county and the public schools of Henry and after putting aside his textbooks he turned las attention to general farming, which he continuously and successfully followed until about twenty years ago. He was enterprising and progressive in his work, placed his land under a high state of cultivation and derived therefrom a good income, owing to the large crops which he raised. He, too, has filled public offices, for soon after his father's death he was elected assessor and acted in that capacity for four years. He has also been commissioner of roads and has been prominent in local governmental affairs, being a most public-spirited man.
On the 15th of September, 1870, Mr. RAYMOND was united in marriage to Miss Mary F. TABOR of Henry, Illinois, who died October 6, 1881. She left one child, Mrs. Evaline SCHRODER, the wife of W. R. SCHRODER, a harnessmaker of Macon county, by whom she has two children: Lucy Helen and Raymond. On the 3d of March, 1886, Mr. RAYMOND was again married, his second union being with Miss Amanda CAMERY, a native of Mount Vernon, Knox county, Ohio. She was born June 27, 1845, and was the youngest of a family of twelve children whose parents were Christian and Nancy (MESSICK) CAMERY, both now deceased. Her father was born in Pennsylvania and died at the age of eighty-four years, while her mother, a native of Virginia, died in her seventy-fourth year of age. Mr. RAYMOND has always been a stalwart advocate of republican principles and is well informed on the issues which divide the two great parties and which constitute much of the nation's history. His fidelity in citizenship has been one of his strong and salient characteristics and combined with his business integrity and his personal worth have made him a citizen whom to know is to respect and honor. He has been a member of the Modern Woodmen of America since 1889 and was consul of the camp for five successive years.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.