John W. PARKER. There are no rules for building characters and no rule for achieving success. The man who can rise from the ranks to a position of eminence is he who can see and utilize the opportunities that surround his path. The essential conditions of human life are ever the same, the surroundings of individuals differ but slightly; and, when one man passes another on the highway to reach the goal of prosperity before others who perhaps started out before him, it is because he has the power to use advantages which probably encompass the whole human race.
Among the most prominent business men of
Thus at the early age of fifteen years John W. PARKER was thrown upon his own resources. Coming to Livingston, Illinois, he worked on a farm for a year at ten dollars per month, and in 1867 came to Marshall county and obtained employment upon a farm located where the village of Toluca now stands, but at that time there was not even a railroad through the place. Here he worked for a number of years as a farm hand.
In the public schools of Evansville Mr.
PARKER had begun his education, and as the opportunity was
afforded attended school in this state, thus acquiring a good
common school education, which he supplemented after attaining
his majority by a course in a commercial college of Evansville,
from which he was graduated in 1872. Returning to
On the 22d of November, 1877, Mr. PARKER
led to the marriage altar Miss Sarah A. LITCHFIELD, a native of
Since voting for Tilden in 1876 Mr. PARKER
has been a stalwart democrat in politics, and has served his
fellow citizens in several official positions, being town clerk
of Bennington township eight years, school trustee six years,
was the first village clerk, which office he resigned in order
to enter the bank. He has also been a delegate to various
conventions of his party. He is a charter and prominent member
of both the Knights of Pythias and Odd Fellows fraternities,
joining the former in
Extracted May 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.