Charles MOTTER is engaged in the livery business in Henry, his native city, where his birth occurred in 1864. His father, George MOTTER, was born in Chillicothe, Ohio, in 1829 and died in 1892 at the age of sixty-two years. He came to Illinois in 1858, settling in Henry. He was a man of broad and liberal education and before his removal to this city engaged in the practice of dentistry. Here he established an office and for years was the only dentist of Henry. He became very prominent in his profession and had an extensive patronage. His political allegiance was given to the democracy. He married Martha DUNLAP, a native of Chillicothe, Ohio, who is now living at McNabb, Putnam county, Illinois, at the age of eighty-one years and is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. In their family were the following named: Gertrude, the wife of George B. HEWITT, a carpenter of Henry; Edgar, who died, leaving a widow and three children; George Arthur, a practicing dentist of Henry; Stella, the wife of Thomas WABEL, who follows farming near McNabb, Illinois; and Charles.
The last named pursued his education in the public schools of Henry and in the periods of vacation devoted his attention to farm labor. For several years after leaving school he was engaged in general agricultural pursuits and then embarked in the livery business in Henry, in which he still continues. He has well appointed stables, keeping a number of good horses and a fine line of vehicles, and his earnest desire to please his patrons has secured to him a large and growing trade.
In 1899 was celebrated the marriage of Charles MOTTER and Miss Katherine CULLIGAN, of Henry. She is a member of St. Joseph's Catholic church. Mr. MOTTER holds membership with the Mystic Workers and is a stalwart democrat, recognized as a leader in the local ranks of his party. He has served as constable, as city marshal, as road commissioner and as deputy sheriff and in these various offices has discharged his duties with a promptness and fidelity that have won him uniform respect and commendation.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.