John E. MONAHAN, who throughout his entire life has followed the occupation of farming and now owns and operates the old family homestead comprising two hundred and ninety-two and a half acres of land in Belle Plain township, Marshall county, was born in 1870. His father, Edward MONAHAN, was a native of Ireland and when a young man crossed the Atlantic to the new world, hoping that he might provide a better home in this country than he could secure on the Emerald isle. He came alone and worked first for John WIRE, while later he took up his abode in Belle Plain township and eventually became the owner of four hundred and twenty-seven acres of valuable land, on which he carried on general farming and stock-raising. His political allegiance was given to the democracy and he was a communicant of the Catholic church. His wife, Mrs. Bridget MONAHAN, was also a native of the Emerald isle and came to America with her parents, who settled in Lacon, Illinois, and soon afterward located on Crow creek, Richland township. She too was a communicant of the Catholic church. Unto Mr. and Mrs. MONAHAN were born eleven children: Mary, who is now the wife of James DONLEY and resides in Bureau county; Anna, who is acting as housekeeper for her brother John; Charles, who wedded Mary WELSH and is living at Minonk; Katie, who married John SCHAELL; John E., of this review; Martin, who has passed away; Ella, the wife of William MANLEY of Minonk; Lizzie, the wife of John MERTALL, who is living in Bureau county; Tressie, the wife of Ed HARNEY, of Bradford, Illinois; Rosa, who is a school teacher and makes her home with her brother John; and Veronica, who is a milliner.
John E. MONAHAN spent his childhood days where he now resides and aided more and more largely in the work of the fields as his age and strength permitted. He attended the Sulphur Springs school through the winter months when the work of the farm was practically over for the year and in the summer seasons aided in the task of plowing, planting and harvesting. He has always continued upon the old homestead, which he yet owns and which comprises two hundred and ninety-two and a half acres of land. His political allegiance is given to the democracy and he keeps well informed on the questions and issues of the day, although he never seeks or desires office. He is a very devout member of the Catholic church, contributes generously to its support and rejoices in its growth and progress. In his business affairs he shows keen discrimination and thorough understanding of the work to which he gives his time and energies and has a well improved farm property which shows in its splendid appearance the care and labor which has been bestowed upon it for many years.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.