Peter MERDIAN, residing on section 5, Henry township, is one of the leading farmers and stock raisers of Marshall county. He was born February 1, 1852, on the old Merdian homestead, south of the village of Henry. His parents, Johann Joseph and Mary Ursulla (LOTHRINGEN) MERDIAN, of whom a sketch is given elsewhere, were numbered among the pioneers of 1843. On that old farm our subject grew to manhood, received a good common school education, and remained at home assisting in the cultivation of the soil until January 25, 1876, when he was united in marriage with Miss Theresa SCHUBERT, a native of Bavaria, and a daughter of George SCHUBERT, of Whitefield township, also a native of that country, who came to the United States in 1874, and direct to Marshall county. Her father died in May, 1893. At the time of coming to this country, Mrs. Merdian was twenty years of age. She soon afterward formed the acquaintance of Mr. MERDIAN, which acquaintance ripened into love, with the result of marriage as stated.
After their marriage, Mr. and Mrs. MERDIAN removed to a farm of one hundred acres in Whitefield township, where for seventeen years they resided, and where their family of nine children were born – Mary, William, John Joseph, Theresa, Vincent, Rosa, Helen, Leo and Bertha. All yet remain at home and are being educated and trained for future usefulness in this life.
Soon after the death of his father, Mr. MERDIAN removed to his
present residence, the farm consisting of one hundred and sixty
acres which came to him on the division of the estate. He is a
thorough and practical farmer, and with personal knowledge and
experience in every department of farm work. His place is well
improved and well stocked with labor-saving implements of the
latest design. Politically he is a democrat, and religiously
adheres to the views of his father, being a member of the German
Catholic church. A lifelong citizen of the county, he is well
and favorably known throughout its length and breadth.
Extracted April 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.