William C. MARTIN, an energetic and
enterprising agriculturist, residing on section 26,
The mother still continued to make her home on the farm and two years later became the wife of Frederick JACOBS, after which the family lived there or on the JACOBS farm near by for many years. Four children were born of the second union – Charles, of Platte county, Nebraska; Mary Alice, wife of James KEENAN, of Saratoga township, Marshall county; Adeline, wife of James HOLMES, of Rice county, Kansas; and Sims, who is unmarried and lives on a part of the old home farm. The mother received but little aid from her second husband, as he later left the country, but she kept her family together and cared for them until they reached maturity. Her death occurred on the 17th of May, 1892, at the age of sixty-two years, and she left many friends as well as her immediate family to mourn her loss.
At the age of twelve years William C. MARTIN started out in life for himself, working by the month as a farm hand in the neighborhood. He later returned to the old homestead farm, of which he took complete charge and became the head of the family. He now owns eighty acres of the old place, to which he has added another eighty acre tract, all of which is highly cultivated and improved. Besides general farming he was also engaged for a number of years in threshing and has been quite successful in his chosen calling.
On the 16th of October, 1877, Mr. MARTIN
was joined in wedlock with Miss Emma H. TRIM, a daughter of
Hezekiah and Thirze (HORENDN) TRIM, the former born in
Although his father was a democrat, Mr.
MARTIN has ever been identified with the republican party,
serving as a delegate to its conventions, has been road
commissioner, and in 1895 was elected supervisor for a term of
two years, which office he is now creditably filling. Socially
he is connected with Sparland lodge, No. 441. F. & A. M., of
Sparland. No man takes a deeper interest in the prosperity of
Extracted April 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.