Samuel KING, at one time identified with agricultural interests in Marshall county and now conducting a drug store at Camp Grove, the enterprising little village which has had an existence of only about four or five years, was born near Glasgow, Scotland, on the 12th of December, 1857, and was one of a family of eleven children, of whom ten are now living. The parents were John and Marguerite (MALONE) KING. The father was born in County Down, Ireland, and was a miner by occupation. Coming to the United States in 1864, he settled upon a farm in La Prairie township, Marshall county, Illinois, in 1867 and for many years was connected with agricultural pursuits, but is now living retired. His wife, also a native of the Emerald isle, passed away in 1878.
Samuel KING was a youth of six years when brought by his parents to the new world. His education was largely acquired in the district schools of La Prairie township, where he also became familiar with the work of field and meadow, remaining upon the home farm until his twenty-seventh year. He then purchased a fine farm of one hundred and sixty acres on section 30, Saratoga township, which now adjoins the corporation limits of Camp Grove, and there he actively and successfully carried on general agricultural pursuits until October, 1904, when he took up his abode in the town and is now manager of the drug store owned by C. S. LIGGETT of Wyoming, Illinois. He still owns his home farm, as well as other farming properties in this county, and is a wide-awake and enterprising business man. He is alert and energetic at all times, watchful of opportunities for judicious investment and successful management, and his labor has brought to hint a gratifying measure of prosperity.
In 1889 was celebrated the marriage of Mr. KING and Miss Delia THOMAS, of Sparland, Illinois, and in the best homes of the locality cordial hospitality is extended to them. Mr. KING is a democrat in his political views. He has served as school trustee in Saratoga township, was road commissioner for twelve years and township treasurer for eight years, discharging the various duties connected with these offices in prompt and capable manner. He is likewise connected with Camp Grove lodge, No. 3350, M. W. A., in which he has filled all of the chairs. Almost his entire life has been passed in this county and while possessing the strong and sterling characteristics of his Scotch ancestry, he is also imbued with the spirit of modern progress that has been the dominant factor in the substantial growth and rapid development of the middle west. Of a friendly, genial disposition, he has gained a host of warm friends and is well liked by all who know him.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties