William P. HOYLE. This gentleman is credited with the ownership of one of the best farms in Magnolia township, his residence being on section 4, and all the buildings and machinery found thereon are in keeping with the enterprise and progressive spirit of the proprietor. Upon his present farm he first opened his eyes to the light of day on the 4th of July, 1849.
His father, William HOYLE, was a native of
In 1836 the father emigrated to Putnam county, where he was numbered among the pioneers, and was one of the first to plant an orchard in this section, having the apple trees brought by boat at a very early day and always taking a great interest in fruit culture. He lost his right arm by catching it in the first threshing machine ever brought to this locality. In connection with his brother, he introduced the first reaper here.
On his arrival Mr. HOYLE located on wild
land on section 4, Magnolia township, where he continued to live
for several years, greatly improving his place, and then removed
to the farm now owned by our subject. He made many useful and
valuable improvements upon the place, including a good dwelling,
and there devoted his attention to farming and stock raising,
having good grades of cattle, horses and hogs. Although he began
life here in moderate circumstances, he became quite well-to-do,
and his honorable, upright life won the respect and confidence
of all with whom he came in contact. Quiet and unassuming, he
always talked to the point, was a man of sound judgment and good
business ability. By birthright he belonged to the Society of
Friends and was one of the leading members and elder in his
church. Being a strong abolitionist, he joined the republican
party on its organization, which he supported up to the time of
his death, January 9, 1876. The mother of our subject died in
October, 1885. There were only two children by the second union,
our subject, and Sarah L., who married William G. PARKER, a
Mr. HOYLE, whose name introduces this
sketch, grew to manhood upon his present farm, receiving his
education in the district schools of the neighborhood, and
assumed the management of the place on attaining his majority.
On the 27th of May, 1874, he was united in marriage with Miss
Elvira HOYLE, who was born July 13, 1852, in
Six children have been born to Mr. and Mrs. HOYLE – Lizzie J., Sarah W., Warren J., Benjamin G., Hannah Marie, and Paul, deceased. The mother is a consistent member of the Congregational church, taking an active part in its work. Mr. HOYLE uses his right of franchise in support of the men and measures of the republican party, for two terms served as road commissioner, was a member of the city school board of Henry, and has also been school director in Magnolia township.
Extracted April 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.