William HASKINS, on the southeast quarter of section 29, is a native of Illinois; born in Marshall county, October 12, 1844. He is a son of John S. and Eliza (BONHAM) HASKINS. His farm at present consists of four hundred and eighty acres. When, in 1873, Mr. HASKINS came to this farm, it was in an unbroken state. Preparing the land for crop was no small job, but by hard labor and push has succeeded in making it one of the finest farms in the county. At first commenced raising grain, but subsequently going into the stock business. He now keeps all that his farm will feed. This farm has one mile of hedge on its borders, and a grove of three acres of fine trees, besides a good orchard. Buildings compare favorably with any in the township, beautifully situated and presenting a fine appearance, showing the neatness and taste, of Mr. and Mrs. HASKINS. In 1864, May 16, he enlisted in Company A, 139th regiment Illinois infantry volunteers. His discharge dates October 28, 1864, at Peoria, Illinois. His principal duty was guarding government stores.
He has served the township as trustee, school director, and supervisor. At present is township clerk and school treasurer.
They are believers in, and members of, the Methodist Episcopal church at Richland Center.
Extracted from History of Guthrie and Adair Counties, Iowa