Frank Lafayette DAWSON, who is engaged in general farming in Whitefield township, is one of Marshall county's native sons, born on the 27th of November, 1876. His father, Clark DAWSON, was a native of Pennsylvania and in early life came to the middle west, settling in Putnam county, Illinois, upon a farm. There he resided up to the time of his death, which occurred in April, 1903. He wedded Miss Mary Jane RAYMOND, a native of Connecticut, who now survives him and lives in Henry. In their family were five children: Fred, a resident of Henry; Frank L., of this review; Mrs. Martha SCHIMMEL, a widow, living in Henry; Ed DAWSON, a farmer of Henry township; and one who died in infancy. At the usual age Frank Lafayette DAWSON began his education in the district schools of Henry township and he was reared to farm life, early becoming familiar with the duties and labors that fall to the lot of the agriculturist. He has always carried on general agricultural pursuits and is now engaged in cultivating one hundred and sixty acres of land which produces good crops, owing to the care and labor that he bestows upon the fields. He keeps everything about the place in neat and thrifty condition and a glance serves to indicate to the passer by his careful supervision and progressive methods.
In April, 1892, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. DAWSON and Miss Anna SMITH, a native of Whitefield township and a daughter of Elwood SMITH, who follows farming in that township. This union has been blessed with five children: Raymond, Clyde and Lafayette, all in school; and Hattie and Myrtle. Mr. DAWSON holds membership with the Modern Woodmen of America, being affiliated with Whitefield camp, No. 1653. He belongs to the Methodist Episcopal church and votes with the republican party, but he has no aspiration for the honors nor emoluments of office, preferring to concentrate his energies upon his business affairs, which are directed by sound judgment, supplementing broad practical experience.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.