Dr. Charles DAVIS, who for many years was engaged in the practice of medicine in Marshall county as a representative of the homeopathic school, and who died June 28, 1891, was born in Columbia, Herkimer county, New York, June 1, 1814. The common schools of the Empire state afforded him his early educational privileges. He came to Illinois in 1836, and though the Black Hawk war had occurred about four years before, there were still some Indians who lingered in the state and many evidences of pioneer life were to be seen. He engaged first in farming in Fulton and in Peoria counties, and in the spring of 1850 he removed to Henry. He pursued both an eclectic and homeopathic course of medicine in Cincinnati, Ohio, graduating from the Eclectic Medical Institute, March 5, 1850. For many years he practiced successfully in Henry, and had a large business as a general practitioner, his skill and capability being widely recognized by the members of the profession and the general public. Prior to coming to Henry he had practiced allopathy for five years.
On the 1st of November, 1845, Dr. DAVIS was united in marriage to Miss Aurelia WILLIAMS, a native of Ohio, born August 8, 1822. There were five children of this marriage, of whom two are now living: Maria L., of Henry ; and O. C. DAVIS, of Racine, Wisconsin. The mother died in Henry, January 25, 1857, and her death was deeply regretted by many friends, for she displayed sterling traits of character, and her good qualities of heart and mind endeared her to all with whom she came in contact. He was again married, November 18, 1857, his second union being with Polly AYLES, by whom he had two children, but both died before reaching the age of one year. The wife and mother died May 9, 1899, at the age of eighty years.
Dr. DAVIS passed away on the 28th of June, 1891, at the age of seventy-seven years. He had served as a school director and was otherwise actively and helpfully interested in public affairs whereby the county was benefited and its interests materially advanced. His religious faith was "that of the Swedenborgian church. Although fifteen years have now come and gone since he departed this life, he is yet held in grateful remembrance in many a household where he was the beloved family physician. He was a man of strong intellectuality and marked individuality, and he left behind an honored name.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.