Andrew J. BISHOP, one of the self-made men of Marshall county, who now
makes his home in Wenona, is the possessor of valuable property, all of
which has been accumulated by his own perseverance and industry. He was born
in Washington county, Pennsylvania, April 28, 1828, and is the son of Thomas
and Mary (HEATHERINGTON) BISHOP. The birth of the father occurred in the
same county, in 1800, but the mother was born in Ireland, in 1801, and when
three years old was brought by her father, Hugh HEATHERINGTON, to America.
When a young man the maternal grandfather participated in the rebellion in
Ireland, was for over eighty years a member of the Masonic order, and died
in Pennsylvania at the extreme old age of one hundred and five years.
After their marriage, in 1824, the parents of our subject located upon a farm in the keystone state, where they spent their remaining days, the father dying in 1854, and the mother ten years later. Both held membership with the Methodist Episcopal church. In their family were eleven children, namely: Mrs. Martha Jane BLACKBURN; James, deceased; Andrew J., William H., deceased; John, of Mt. Palatine, Illinois; Mrs. Isabel CLAYBAUGH of Pennsylvania; Thomas B., deceased; Mrs. Susanna MATEER of Rutland, Illinois; Hiram and Margaret Ann, both deceased, and Jeremiah K., of Iowa. The last named served as a soldier in the union army during the civil war.
The education of our subject was such as the district school afforded, and although he was reared to agricultural pursuits, he also worked at the carpenter's trade. Emigrating to Putnam county, Illinois, in 1853, he worked by the month as a farm hand for one year, and after his marriage lived on Ox Bow Prairie, in that county, until 1861, when he removed to Evans township, Marshall county, settling on section 27. The farm of eighty acres which he purchased was all wild land, but he has now placed it under a high state of cultivation, erected good and substantial buildings, and added to the tract until he now has two hundred and forty acres of valuable land. For thirty-three years he made his home in one house, but since 1892 has lived retired in Wenona, where he is surrounded by many warm friends.
In 1854 Mr. Bishop was united in marriage with Miss Eliza J. CHAMP, the daughter of John W. and Lydia (HORROM) CHAMP, the former a native of Rockingham, New Hampshire, and the latter of New Jersey. Her maternal grandfather, Timothy HORROM, came to Illinois in 1832, settling in Grundy county, where he resided until his death. When a young man her father followed the carpenter’s trade, but later went to California and Washington, in the employ of the Hudson Bay company, with which he remained for forty years. Returning to Putnam county, Illinois, although over sixty years of age, he joined the One Hundred and Fourth Illinois Volunteer Infantry, as a member of Company H, with which he served for three years, and was then discharged on account of illness. During his service he was taken prisoner by the enemy. He died in 1869, and his wife, who had long preceded him to the other world, passed away in 1837. They had two children – Mrs. BISHOP, and William W., who lives in Hope township, La Salle county, Illinois.
Mrs. BISHOP was the first white child born at Princeton, Illinois, the date of that event being January 1, 1834, and losing her mother when only three years old, she was reared by Lyman HORROM, a native of New Jersey, who came to Illinois in 1830, settling on Ox Bow Prairie in Putnam county. There he improved a farm, and in the early days also worked in the lead mines of Galena. He finally laid aside business cares and removed to Henry, Illinois, in 1863, where he passed away in 1886. He had married Eleanor BAKER, who still survives him, making her home in Henry at the age of eighty-four years, but for the past ten years has been an invalid. They had no children of their own, but reared both Mrs. BISHOP and her brother.
Four children were born to our subject and his wife – Charles W., who lives on section 27, Evans township, Marshall county, married Clara SWISHER. Mary Ella is the wife of Fred WHITING, by whom she has five children, and they also make their home in Evans township. Lydia, who lives in Nebraska, is the wife of John McLAUGHLIN, and they have four children. Lyman Hamlin completes the family. The children were all provided with good common school educations.
The parents are both conscientious Christians, worthy members of the Methodist church, and politically Mr. BISHOP is a republican, but has never accepted office with the exception of school director, which position he held for about twelve years. Although starting out in life with no capital, he struggled along and by hard work has succeeded in gaining a competence. During the first year at Ox Bow Prairie he was able to lay up seven hundred dollars.
Extracted March 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.