John Henry AUKLAND, who owns and operates a good farm of one hundred and nine acres on section 20, Whitefield township, is one of the native sons of this township, born on the 18th of June, 1872. His father, Thomas AUKLAND, was a native of England and when a young man came to the United States, settling first in Ohio, where he lived for a time. He then came to Illinois and took up his abode in Peoria county, where he engaged in farming forty acres of land. About 1841, however, he came to Marshall county, Illinois, where he spent his remaining days, passing away about sixteen years ago when sixty-nine years of age. He lived here during an early period in the development and upbuilding of the county and was thus associated with its pioneer interests and progress. His widow, who bore the maiden name of Elizabeth BLANKENSHIP. still survives him and is now living with her daughter, Mrs. BELL, in Henry. In their family were ten children: William, Elizabeth, Mary, James, Martha, Sabinih. Savanah, Charles, Henry and Amanda.
In the district schools John Henry AUKLAND pursued his education and received ample training at farm labor upon the old homestead where he has continuously resided. He has never desired to engage in other lines of business but has concentrated his time and energies upon the work of the farm and is today cultivating a valuable tract of land of one hundred and nine acres. The place is rich and arable and the fields yield golden harvests in return for the care and labor bestowed upon them. Everything about the place is kept in good condition and the farm work is materially advanced through the practical and progressive efforts of Mr. AUKLAND.
In 1893 occurred the marriage of John Henry AUKLAND and Miss Hattie NEWMAN, a daughter of Captain James NEWMAN. This union has been blessed with five children: Willis, Leslie and Howard, aged respectively twelve, ten and eight years and all now in school; Oliver, four years of age; and Marie, a little daughter one year old. Mr. AUKLAND votes with the republican party and has served as school director. He belongs to Whitefield camp, No. 1653, M. W. A., and he takes a most active and helpful interest in church work and is serving as superintendent of the Aukland Methodist Episcopal Sunday-school. All who know him entertain for him warm regard because investigation into his life history indicates his fidelity to high principles.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.