top shadow

Lacon Township

Lacon township is located in Township 29-30 North, Range 3 West. It has one town: Lacon.

1890 Map from Plat Book of Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1890

Land Owners

The following list of names transcribed from the 1890 map is not complete and was not proofed for errors. Please advise Marshall coordinator of additions and corrections.

___LTER, M E
AMES, Scott
ATHAY, A J
BAKER, M E, Mrs
BERNHART, Paul
BLACK, J W
BUCK, Samuel
CARTER, W H
CLARK, Phillip
COFFMAN, J P
COLLINS, F J
COLLINS, Fred J, Mrs
CONRAD, Caroline
CROSS, S J
DUNCAN, W J, heirs of
EBRIGHT, Henry
FAIRBANKS, E R
FAIRBANKS, J F
FARNSWORTH, William
FORT, G L, heirs of
FORT, R B
GIBB, Mary
GIBBS, Mary
GUEDE, Frederick
HUNTER, George
HUNTER, Julia
ILIFF, J M
JONES, Jacob
JONES, Jane
JONES, Sarah E
KAMP, John, Jr
LAIBLE, S
LAUB, R A
MARSHALL, W
MARTIN, James B
McKEE, A
NIFFENEGGER, B
O’LEARY, James, heirs of
OETTINGER, Katherine
OWEN, Alice E
PARSONS, S R
PETRI, M
PIERCE, J
PORTER, W B, Mrs
RAQUET, Charles
RICKEY, Charles E
RODGERS, John
SHAFER, Amelia
SIEBOLD, Fred
SNYDER, N
SOWARDS, Charles G
SOWARDS, J A
SOWARDS, Mary B
SOWARDS, Owen
SOWARDS, W S
SOWARDS, Worth
STORM, Jacob
TAYLOR, Annie E
TRAVER, G J
TRAVER, M J
VanDUSEN, N
WIER, Celia A
WIER, Frederick
WIER, H E
WIER, Henry E
WIER, Richard A
WIGHTMAN, George F
WILSON, W
YOUNG, Eliza
YOUNG, Fannie
ZILM, William

Early Settlers

The first cabin on Crow Creek stood not far above the bridge, where there was a good body of timber. Daniel, the father of James SOWARDS, cut logs for his house there in 1833.

John HUNTER lived upon a claim made by himself, where he afterward died, and near where his widow still remains, having sold his first claim to Samuel GIBBS.

Nathan OWEN also lived here, and Samuel HEADLOCK arrived in 1833 from Walnut Grove. BIRD sold his claim to Obediah McCUNE, who afterward removed to Tazewell County, and was buried there.

HEADLOCK and Frazier SOWARDS came here together.

Among the settlers of the vicinity is James SOWARDS, who as boy and man has been a citizen of the locality since 1832. He drove team and made himself generally useful for several years about the mills, and still remains upon his farm. His recollection of the early settlers is that Robert BIRD had a cabin up the creek where the McCUNE farm is, before the OWEN mills were built.

Extracted from Records of the Olden Time

Templates in Time