top shadow

TANQUARY, Addison

Addison TANQUARY is one of the oldest residents of Marshall county in years of continuous connection with its interests, for his birth occurred in Steuben township, August 29, 1837, and since that time he has lived within its borders, covering a period of almost three score years and ten. His father, James TANQUARY, was a native of Pickaway, county, Ohio, born in 1809 and in the fall of 1834 he came to Illinois, settling in Tazewell county, whence he removed to Marshall county in the spring of 1835. He located two miles north of Sparland, where he engaged in faming until the spring of 1848, when he removed to a farm two miles west on the prairie, there devoting his attention to general agricultural pursuits until his death, which occurred January 21, 1849. In manner he was quiet and reserved. He gave his political support to the whig party and in religious faith was a Methodist, serving as class leader in his church. He married Mahala BONHAM, who was born in Bainbridge, Ohio, March 24, 1810. They were married in the Buckeye state in 1831 and thus came together to Illinois. Mrs. TANQUARY, who was also a devoted member of the Methodist church, long survived her husband, passing away on the 4th of March, 1883. In the family of this worthy couple were eight children: Cornelius, Rebecca B., Addison, Elizabeth, Willie, Mary, Newton and James J. The eldest was born in Pickaway county, Ohio, and was three years old at the time of the removal of the family to Illinois.

Addison TANQUARY was reared upon the old home farm in Steuben township and attended the Bethel country school through the winter months, while in the summer seasons he aided in the work of the farm. With the exception of a period of eleven years he has always lived in Steuben township and is among its oldest residents. In 1862, responding to the country’s call for troops, he enlisted for service in the Union army as a member of Company E, Eighty-sixth Illinois Infantry, with which he continued until the 8th of June, 1864, when he was discharged on account of a wound which he had sustained in the arm. He then returned to Marshall county and soon afterward settled upon a farm in Evans township near Wenona. In 1880, however, he returned to Steuben township, where he carried on general agricultural pursuits for twenty years and then retired in 1900, taking up his abode in Sparland. He was one of the energetic, progressive and practical farmers of his township, placing his land under a high state of cultivation and deriving a good income from the care and labor he bestowed upon the fields.

On the 16th of October, 1859, Mr. TANQUARY was married at Sparland to Miss Ellen WILLIAMS, who was born in Clay county, Illinois, June 27, 1839, a daughter of Thomas G. and Sarah WILLIAMS, who were natives of Ohio, whence they removed to Clay county. In the fall of 1855 they became residents of Sparland and the father followed the occupation of farming as a life work. Unto Mr. and Mrs. TANQUARY have been born seven children: Cassius M., who married Eva REED and lives in Portland, Oregon; James, who died in infancy; Minnie A., at home; Thomas E., who died in infancy; George S., a resident of Portland, Oregon; Lawrence H., who wedded Minnie POTTER, of Marseilles, Illinois, and lives in Peoria; and Nellie M., who is with her parents in Sparland.

Mr. TANQUARY has been honored with a number of positions of public trust. He has twice served as collector of Steuben township, and is now serving for a third term as assessor. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, while fraternally he is connected with Clayton lodge, No. 132, I. O. O. F., of Sparland, and with Lacon post, No. 134, G. A. R. His wife is a member of the Methodist church. His interest in community affairs is manifest in many tangible ways and has resulted in benefit to the county. Few men have for a longer period witnessed the growth and development of this part of the state. His memory goes back to the pioneer times when many of the homes were log cabins and when much of the land was uncultivated, being covered with hits native prairie grasses. The streams were unbridged and the timber was uncut. In fact the work of development had been scarcely begun at that period, but time and man have wrought many changes and Marshall county has taken its place among the leading counties of this great commonwealth. Mr. TANQUARY has aided largely in its agricultural development and has always faithfully performed his duties of citizenship.

Extracted 09 May 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.

Templates in Time