top shadow

STONER, Thomas W.

Thomas W. STONER is not only a prominent farmer in Hopewell township, but is likewise prominent and is a leader in the councils of the democratic party, taking an active part in the various campaigns, believing it not only the privilege, but the duty of every qualified voter to do all in his power to disseminate his political views and advocate the  measures he regards as for the best interest of the people. He was born in Richland county, Ohio, February 2, 1841, and is a son of Henry and Catherine (CASTLEMAN) STONER, the former a native of Pennsylvania, and the latter of Ohio.

Henry STONER was born in Berks county, Pennsylvania, in 1796. He was the son of John SONER, likewise a native of Pennsylvania. He married Catherine CASTLEMAN, a native of Jefferson county, Ohio, born in 1800, and a daughter of John CASTLEMAN, a native of Pennsylvania, but of German descent. They were married in Ohio, and settled in Richland county, where they made a permanent home and there died some years ago. Of their family of eight children, seven grew to maturity – Annie, now Mrs. GOTCHALL, living in Nebraska; William, who died in Marshall county, in 1866; John, who lives in Michigan; George, now living in Richland county, Ohio; Jacob, who lives in Marshall county, Illinois; Henry, now living in Nebraska; Mary, now Mrs. BENEDICT, living in Richland county, Ohio; and T. W., the subject of this sketch.

Our subject was born February 2, 1841, in Richland county, Ohio, and there grew to manhood on his father’s farm, receiving his primary education in the public schools, then attended the Savannah Academy, in Ashland county, and finishing his course at Baldwin University, near Cleveland, Ohio. After leaving the university he taught school for a time in his native county, and in 1864 removed to Marshall county, Illinois, where he also taught several terms of school in Bennington township, in connection with his farming operations.

On the 15th of October, 1868, Mr. STONER married Miss Eleanor Ann GERMAN, a sister of W. H. GERMAN, of Hopewell township. She was born on Ox Bow Prairie, Putnam county, July 19, 1848. By this union six children were born, five of whom are now living – Wilbert Lee, Effie May, John R., Edna A., George H., and Harry C. Of the number, John R. is deceased.

After living upon rented farms for five years, in 1873 Mr. STONER came to Hopewell township, Marshall county, and settled upon his present farm on section 1. The farm was partially improved at the time, but many improvements have since been added by him. He has now five hundred acres, of which three hundred and eighty acres are under cultivation. In addition to general farming, Mr. STONER has engaged somewhat extensively in stock raising, in which line of business he has been quite successful. Upon his farm he has a number of head of blooded polled Angus cattle, full-blooded Poland China hogs, and also Duroc Jerseys. In addition he has imported Belgian and full-blooded draft horses.

In politics, Mr. STONER affiliates with the democratic party, and has taken an active interest in township affairs. For twenty-three years he has served as school director, has been supervisor of Hopewell township four years, tax collector in Bennington township one year, clerk of Hopewell township two years, assessor of Hopewell township three years, and is now serving his third term as justice of the peace. He has been a delegate to county conventions for twenty years, and has been a leader in his party. He comes of a patriotic family, his grandfather, John STONER, serving in the Revolutionary war, being present at the battle of Bunker Hill. His brother Henry was a soldier in the civil war as a member of the Twentieth Ohio Volunteer Infantry. Mr. STONER is not a member of any church, but was reared a Methodist. Mrs. STONER is a member of the Christian church, and in all religious and benevolent work takes an active interest and does all in her power to advance the interest of the Master’s cause.

Extracted March 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.

Templates in Time