SMITH, Lewis V.
Lewis V. SMITH, residing in Henry, was born in Peoria county, Illinois, March 14, 1851, and is a son of John T. and Anne (BATES) SMITH. The father was born in Frenchtown, New Jersey, May 11, 1819, and in his youth accompanied his parents on their removal to Bucks county, Pennsylvania, where he met and married Miss BATES, who was born at Bristol, Bucks county, July 15, 1818. The wedding was celebrated October 9, 1838, and eight years later they removed with their family to Brimfield, Peoria county, Illinois, where they spent a decade and then came to Marshall county. For twenty-one years Mr. SMITH owned and occupied a large farm on section 9, Whitefield township, save that for a few years he lived in Henry for the purpose of affording his children better educational privileges. He was a prosperous farmer, giving personal attention to every detail of his work. In 1877 he sold his place to his son-in-law, Thomas MONIER, and removed to Henry, where he practically lived retired. In later years, however, he again invested a portion of his means in farm lands and gave his attention to the supervision of his property. Both Mr. and Mrs. SMITH were long devoted and faithful members of the Methodist Episcopal church, assisting earnestly in its work and doing everything in their power to promote its growth and upbuilding.
In their family were nine children : William N., who is now living retired in Topeka, Kansas; Elwood, who was a prosperous farmer of Whitefield township and is now deceased; Charles C., who is living retired in Henry; Angeline, who died at the age of eleven years; Arabella G., the wife of John H. CLIFT, of Fairbury, Illinois; Lewis, of this review; Brooks, deceased ; Charlotta S., the wife of Thomas MONIER, of Henry; and Jennie, the wife of Luke GREGORY, of High Prairie, Whitefield township. The death of the father occurred December 3, 1893, while his wife survived until April 17, 1895, and thus passed away two most worthy people who made the world better by their having lived because of their Christian influence and their good works.
Lewis V. SMITH, of this review, pursued his education in the schools of Marshall county, attending first in Whitefield township and afterward in Henry. For twenty years he devoted his life to general agricultural pursuits, purchasing a farm in McLean county of one hundred acres which he improved, bringing it under a high state of cultivation. Removing to Henry in 1881, he is now engaged in dealing in live stock and is a prosperous business man of the town.
In 1873 occurred the marriage of Mr. SMITH and Miss Lizzie DUFFIELD, formerly of Fulton county, Illinois. Unto them have been born four children: William T., who at the age of thirty-two years is engaged in fanning in Henry township; Lea L., twenty-eight years of age, who is a traveling salesman living in Peoria; and Pearl V. and Ivan, aged respectively twenty-four and eighteen years and both now at home.
Mr. SMITH belongs to Henry lodge, No. 119, A. F. & A. M., and has attained high rank in Masonry, being now connected with the Mystic Shrine. He is a republican and for twelve years has served as assessor of Henry. He has held various official positions in the township and county and over the record of his public career and private life there falls no shadow of wrong or suspicion of evil. He and his family are connected with the Christian church and in Henry and throughout the county wherever they are known they have warm friends who hold them in the highest regard.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties