NEWMAN, Albert S.
Albert S. NEWMAN controls a valuable farm of two hundred acres, situated on section 17, Whitefield township, belonging to his father. Here he is engaged in tilling the soil and also in raising cattle, which is an important branch of his business. It was upon this farm that his birth occurred on the 13th of July, 1865, his parents being Captain James R. and Mary (REINBECK) NEWMAN. The parents are still living and nine of the children of the family yet survive.
At the usual age Albert S. NEWMAN began his education by attending the district schools of Whitefield township, and when not busy with his text-books his hours were largely employed at farm labor, so that he early became familiar with the work of field and meadow. He has sought no other occupation as a life work, but has been 'content to devote his time and energies to general farming. George Washington has said that agriculture is the most useful as well as the most honorable occupation of man. That Mr. NEWMAN leads a busy life is indicated by the splendid appearance of his farm. He has two hundred acres of land, the greater part of which is under a high state of cultivation, so that he annually harvests good crops. He also raises cattle on quite an extensive scale, having good stock upon his place.
On the 3d of January, 1894, Mr. NEWMAN was united in marriage to Miss Sarah M. SALISBURY, of Henry, and unto them have been born four children: Everett S. and Olen E., who are now in school; Levina D.; and one died in infancy. He is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America, belonging to Whitefield camp, No. 1963. He has served as school director for twelve years and believes in the employment of competent teachers. His political allegiance is given to the republican party, and he is a member of the Methodist Episcopal church. His entire life has been passed in this county, so that he is widely known and his many good qualities have won him the favorable regard of those with whom he has been associated.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties