MORROW, William V.
William V. MORROW, who is engaged in the
transfer business and carrying the mail at La Rose, Illinois, is
a native of the buckeye state, his birth occurring in Jackson
county, July 28, 1847. His father, Abraham MORROW, was born in
county, Pennsylvania, of
Scotch-Irish ancestry, the great-grandfather of our subject
coming to this country from the north of
Ireland at an early day and settling in
Pennsylvania, of which state John
MORROW, the grandfather, was a native. The mother of our
subject, who bore the maiden name of Mary MEREDITH, was a native
of Guernsey county, Ohio, and a daughter of George MEREDITH,
whose father had come to the new world from Wales in colonial
days, and was an officer in the American army in both the
Revolutions and the war of 1812. The maternal grandmother of our
subject was also of Irish parentage.
When a small boy, William V. MORROW was
taken by his parents to Guernsey county,
Ohio, and in August, 1863, accompanied them to
During the dark days of the rebellion he manifested his loyalty
and patriotism by three times enlisting in the union army, but
was twice rejected on account of his age. He was finally
accepted but the war ended before his company was fully made up.
In November, 1864, he came to Marshall county, locating in Belle Plain
township, where he engaged in farming until 1892, when he came
to La Rose, and has since engaged in his present business.
On the 18th of July, 1866, Mr. MORROW led
to the marriage altar Miss Martha A. PERRY, a daughter of
William PERRY, of
who at an early day came from Kentucky
and settled in Marshall county, Illinois. Four children have been born of
this union, namely: Frank, who died at the age of twenty years;
Fred; Minnie, now the wife of John KERRICK, of Libertyville,
Iowa, and Elta, wife of Ora SPANGLER, of Belle Plain township,
by whom she has one son, Ray Lester.
Mr. MORROW has served his fellow citizens
in various official positions, including those of school
director and highway commissioner, which he filled for several
years; for sixteen years has been justice of the peace, and
county coroner since 1892. He is prompt and faithful in the
discharge of every duty whether public or private, and has
proved a most popular and capable officer. Fraternally he
affiliates with the Modern Woodmen of America and Knights of
Pythias, and religiously he and his excellent wife are earnest
members of the Presbyterian church. They are widely and
favorably known throughout this section of the county, and enjoy
the friendship of a wide circle of acquaintances.
Extracted May 2011 by Norma Hass from
The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.