top shadow

JONES, Luther A.

Luther A. JONES, deceased, was a native of New Hampshire, born at Hillsboro, November 15, 1811. He grew to manhood in his native state and received a limited education in its select schools. In 1836 he was united in marriage with Druzilla CALEF, and, with his young bride, came at once to Illinois, locating eventually on a farm in Cass county. He remained there, however, hut a short time, and then removed to Iowa, where he followed farming a few years, and then again returned to Cass county, where he resumed his farming operations. Later he removed to Beardstown, on the Illinois river, where he ran a steam ferry for a number of years and where his wife died in 1869, leaving four children, Sarah E., now wife of Frank W. TRACY, president of the First National Bank of Springfield, Illinois; Ann Eliza, wife of Louis WEAVER, now of Virginia; Emma F., a teacher in the Springfield high school, and Louis Arthur, a farmer of Bluff Spring, Illinois.

After the death of his first wife, Mr. JONES left Beardstown and removed to Henry, where he spent the remainder of his life. In November, 1872, he married Mrs. Eleanor W. WHITE, widow of John Bradshaw WHITE, of Henry. Mr. WHITE was born in Washington, Vermont, February 14, 1814, and December 30, 1841, there married Miss Eleanor W. CALEF, who was a cousin of Mrs. Druzilla JONES, their fathers being brothers. They came to Illinois shortly after their marriage and located on a farm in Whitefield township, seven miles from Henry. They started from their Vermont home in sleighs, but on arriving at Rochester, New York, exchanged their runners for wheels and continued on their journey. Mr. WHITE had made a visit to this locality some five years previously and had selected the land which he afterward purchased. He secured what he thought was government land, but it was found that there was a flaw in the title, and others made claim to the same tract. The case was placed in the hands of attorneys and stubbornly fought by claimants and contestants, but not settled until after the death of Mr. WHITE, when it was decided in favor of a claimant, the widow and her children thus losing all that had been invested and the result of years of toil. Realizing the uncertainty of his title, however, Mr. WHITE purchased another farm, on which the family moved. This farm, consisting of one hundred and sixty acres, he commenced to improve, but in 1852 he rented the place and moved to Henry, where he engaged in the lumber trade, which business he continued until his death, October 30, 1852. To Mr. and Mrs. WHITE were born three children: Ellen Maria, now the wife of Ransom E GREGORY, residing at Pierce, South Dakota; John Burritt, who graduated at Knox College in 1867, and died February 11, 1868, at the age of twenty-one years, and Asa Orville, a farmer residing near Milford, Iroquois county, Illinois.

After the death of her husband, Mrs. WHITE returned to the farm, and with the assistance of her children continued to operate it until her marriage with Mr. JONES, when they located in Henry. She has since disposed of it and is now living in a pleasant home in the village, where she enjoys the respect and loving good will of the entire community. She is a consistent and devoted member of the New Jerusalem or Swedenborgian church at Henry, and well-grounded in the faith. Mr. JONES died January 25, 1893, in his eighty-second year. He was a man well liked in the community in which he resided and his death was mourned by a large circle of friends throughout Marshall and adjoining counties and also in his old home in Cass county.

Extracted March 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.

Templates in Time