HICKEY, James P.
In financial circles in Marshall county and this part of the state James P. HICKEY is widely and favorably known, being the present popular and capable cashier of the Exchange Bank at Camp Grove. He was born in the village which is yet his home, his natal day being March 4, 1878. His father, David HICKEY, a native of County Clare, Ireland, was reared and educated in that country and came to the United States about 1858. He traveled extensively before making permanent settlement upon a farm in Marshall county, Illinois, in 1862. He secured one hundred acres of land in Saratoga township, spending his remaining days thereon, and during that period converting his land into one of the best improved and productive tracts of this part of the state. He was a devout Catholic and a stalwart supporter of the democracy. For thirty years he served as school director and the cause of public instruction benefited by his efforts in its behalf. He was numbered among the most respected pioneers of Saratoga township and his efforts along many lines were of direct evidence in the work of improvement and upbuilding. He passed away July 5, 1903, and is now numbered among Marshall county's honored dead. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Mary DAY, was also a native of Ireland and a daughter of Jeremiah and Johanna DAY, resident farmers of Saratoga township. Mr. and Mrs. HICKEY were married in this country and the latter departed this life April 18, 1884. In their family were eight children, of whom six are now living: Katherine; Minnie; John, a fanner of Saratoga township, who wedded Mary LONG of the same township; Nellie, the wife of Owen SHARKEY, who follows agricultural pursuits in Milo township, Bureau county, Illinois; James P., of this review; and Nora, the wife of Robert BREEN, who is publisher of a paper at Kewanee, Illinois. The two who passed away are James, who died at the age of sixteen months, and Thomas, who died when but three months old.
James P. HICKEY pursued his preliminary education in the district schools of Saratoga township, Marshall county, and for one year was a student in Dixon (Illinois) Business College, whereby he was well qualified for the practical duties of life. He also studied at home, devoting many leisure hours to the mastery of branches of learning which have been of benefit to him, not only in general mental development but also in his business career. He worked upon the home farm until he had attained his majority, after which he was employed for a short time as a salesman in a clothing store. He then entered the Camp Grove Exchange Bank, which is controlled by the owners of the Bradford Exchange Bank. He became connected with this institution on its establishment, February 3, 1902. This is a private bank, of which he is cashier and manager, and under his direction a successful business has been established.
On the 14th of October of the same year Mr. HICKEY was married to Miss Mary HERBERGER, a daughter of Peter and Anna HERBERGER, who were farming people of Stark county, Illinois. This marriage has been blessed with two children, Marie and Celestine, aged respectively three and one years. The parents are prominent socially, having a circle of friends almost co-extensive with the circle of their acquaintance. Mr. HICKEY is a member of the Modern Woodmen camp at Camp Grove, of which he has served as clerk for three years. He is also president of the Fraternal Reserve and his political allegiance is given to the democracy. The only political office he has ever held is that of notary public and he belongs to the Catholic church. It will thus be seen that his interests cover a wide range, making him a man of well rounded character. His efforts in behalf of Camp Grove have been far-reaching and beneficial. This is a new town, only four years old, but already it contains good business houses, two grain elevators, two banks, good churches and schools and other modern facilities. Mr. HICKEY has done much for its upbuilding and progress and is an active, popular and efficient young business man with a host of friends.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties