FROMMEL, Charles A.
Charles A. FROMMEL, who is engaged in the manufacture of cigars in Henry and is prominent in community affairs, was born in Canton, Fulton county, Illinois, December 31, 1862. His father, Albert C. FROMMEL, was a native of Hamburg, Germany, and in 1849 came to the United States, settling first in Utica, New York, where he engaged in business as a cigar manufacturer. He became the first representative of that line in Canton, Illinois, where he carried on his enterprise for many years. He died in Troy, New York, in 1901, since which time his widow, who bore the maiden name of Anna E. ROWLEY, has become the wife of T. A. SCHIPPER, of Henry, and is again a widow. By her first marriage she had three children: Charles A.; Ernest, a cigar manufacturer of Peoria ; and Mrs. W. B. MILLER, who is also living in that city.
Charles A. FROMMEL pursued his education in the public schools of Canton, Illinois, of Independence, Kansas, and of Henry, as his parents removed to the different places. He learned the trade of manufacturing cigars under the direction of his father and began business for himself on the 31st of July, 1886, when he came to Henry. He has conducted his present cigar manufactory since 1893 and is now carrying on a good business in this line. His leading brands are the Rose Queen, a first class domestic five cent cigar, and My Best, which is a ten cent domestic cigar. The excellence of his goods enables him to secure a ready sale for his output and his trade is growing in substantial manner.
In 1886 Mr. FROMMEL was married to Miss Nellie C. MILLER, of Henry county, Illinois, and unto them has been born a daughter, Anna Jeanette, now five years of age. Mr. FROMMEL is prominent in fraternal circles, belonging to the Knights of Pythias lodge at Henry and to the Eagles of Peoria. In the former he has filled all of the chairs and has been master of finance for four terms. In politics he is a democrat and has been alderman of the second ward for two terms. He was elected the first foreman of the Chemical Engine company and was a member of the committee to draft the constitution and by-laws in 1891. He has several times been chairman of the democratic county central committee with headquarters located on Second street opposite Central park. He is likewise a member of the bridge board and is recognized as one of the leaders in the local ranks of the democracy, and, earnestly desiring the success of his party, labors along practical and effective lines for its upbuilding.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties