Miss Nancy CLIFFORD is the owner of valuable farming property in Marshall county, her home being on section 10, Evans township, where she has lived since 1853. She was born at Cadiz, Ohio, about four miles from New Athens, in 1833. Her father was Edward CLIFFORD, who was born in Brook county, Virginia, in 1806, and was the eldest of the family of twelve children, of whom only one survives, Mrs. Margaret THOMPSON, who is living in Columbus, Ohio. In 1811 Mr. CLIFFORD accompanied his parents on their removal to Harrison county, Ohio, where he was reared to manhood, and in 1831 married Rebecca DUNLAP, whose birth occurred in Harrison county in 1807. They became the parents of six children: Mrs. Sarah PHILLIPS, who is living at Table Rock, Nebraska; Nancy; Samuel, who died in 1896; Mrs. Jane DUNLAP, whose home is in Wenona, Illinois; Margaret, who died July 8, 1905; and Mrs. Susan HAMILTON, also living in Wenona. The parents were regular attendants of the United Presbyterian church and were earnest Christian people. Mr. CLIFFORD brought his family to Illinois about 1853, locating at the head of what is now called Sandy creek, where all of the early pioneers settled. In community affairs he took an active and helpful interest and aided in the early development and progress of the county. He carried on farming for a long period and became the owner of three hundred and twenty-seven acres of valuable farming land, all of which he improved. As the years passed, through his own exertions, he reached a position of wealth and became the possessor of one of the finest farms in his township. For six years he held the office of road commissioner.
Miss CLIFFORD, of this review, was but a little girl when brought by her parents to Illinois, and on the home farm she was reared. She now owns a beautiful residence in the edge of the timber, together with good fanning land, having three hundred and forty-five acres in all. Her nephew and his wife now live with her. Her people were among the earliest settlers here and her father was extensively engaged in raising cattle and sheep, owning as high as eighty thoroughbreds at a time. He was also one of the promoters of this industry in the county, and in his farming operations he prospered, so that he was enabled to leave his family in very comfortable circumstances when, in August, 1881, he was called from this life. He was not a member of any church, but he gave freely and generously to the support of different denominations and for the building of various houses of worship in the county. In politics he was a democrat, and while interested in the success of his party, he never placed partisanship before the general welfare. His wife survived him for about twenty years, and passed away in 1901.
Their daughter, Nancy CLIFFORD, was a student in the public schools of Evans township. She remained with her parents upon the home farm on which they located in 1853, and eventually she came into possession of this property, which is now splendidly improved and very valuable, returning her an excellent income. Miss CLIFFORD has intimate knowledge of the history of the county through many years, witnessing its growth and progress as it has developed from wild prairie, swampy districts and timber land into richly improved farms, while here and there in their midst have been built thriving towns and cities, bringing to the county all of the comforts and conveniences of civilization known to the older east.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties