Marshall County
ILGenWeb

SPANGLER, James C.

James C. SPANGLER, a leading agriculturist of Belle Plain township, residing on section 14, was born in Richland township, Marshall county, November 5, 1847. Thirteen years previous his parents had taken up their residence in the latter township, and the name of the family is therefore engraved on the rolls of Marshall county’s pioneers. The father, William SPANGLER, was born in Franklin county, Ohio, July 13, 1811, and in 1834 started for Illinois. At that time the Indians still inhabited this region and wild animals were frequently seen, while various kinds of wild game was plentiful. At one time, Mr. SPANGLER was compelled to climb a tree and remain there for several hours through the night to save himself from wild hogs. He hauled wheat to Chicago and with the proceeds derived from his crops purchased the necessary dry goods and groceries for his family. Many were the hardships and privations to be endured, but at length a comfortable home was established here on the frontier. William SPANGLER married Emily McCUNE, who was born in Pennsylvania, June 16, 1818. Of their twelve children seven are living, namely: William, John B., Charles C. and James C, twins; Mary L., wife of James O. RAMP; Carrie, wife of H. T. FOSTER, and Belle, wife of William T. ILIFF.

James C. SPANGLER spent his boyhood days in the usual manner of farmer lads and was early inured to the arduous labors incident to frontier life. The common schools of the neighborhood afforded him his educational privileges. After arriving at years of maturity he was married January 18, 1872, to Amanda CARRUTHERS, who was born in Richland township, Marshall county, February 3, 1851. Her father, William B. CARRUTHERS, was born near Terre Haute, Indiana, January 22, 1826, came to Marshall county in 1844, and was married September 14, 1846, to Minerva OWEN, by whom he had two children: Charles E., born June 16, 1848, and Mrs. SPANGLER. The grandfather, Timothy OWEN, removed from Mansfield, Connecticut, in 1819, to Sciota county, Ohio, where on the 25th of March, 1823, he wedded Jane DEVER. In 1832 he came to Marshall county, and spent his remaining days in Richland township. In his family were ten children, five of whom are living: Minerva, David D., Ruth O., wife of William KUNKLE; Samuel H., and Jane, wife of George KUNKLE. Mr. OWEN located here immediately after the Black Hawk war, entered one hundred and sixty acres of land on Round Prairie, and afterward purchased other lands from the government. He killed as many as three deer in one day, for those animals were very numerous at that time. He followed farming, carpentering and wagon making and for many years manufactured all the coffins needed in the settlement. He also made many barrels and invented the first corn-planter drawn by horses in the United States. He possessed much mechanical genius, and with tools could produce almost anything that was needed. In 1833, on Crow Creek he built the first sawmill in Marshall county, and in 1836, he began operating the first gristmill in the county, the same being patronized by people who came for thirty miles. This mill as destroyed by fire about 1853, the day after the insurance had expired, and thus vanished one of the old landmarks of the county. Mr. OWEN died on the old homestead May 3, 1885, aged eighty-six years, and his wife died March 5, 1883, at the age of eighty years. Mrs. SPANGLER’s father served in the union army as a member of Company C, Sixty-fifth Illinois Infantry, was for a time with General Sigel’s command, and afterward went with Sherman on the celebrated march to the sea. At the time of his discharge he was in the company commanded by Captain Henry FISHER, of Lacon, Illinois.

Mr. and Mrs. SPANGLER had nine children, eight of whom are living, as follows: Hattie B., wife of William McCULLOCH, of Varna, Illinois, by whom she has one child, Nita; Emily J., wife of Warner BROADDUS, of Varna, by whom she has one son, Lynn S.; Charles E., Fred, Walter R., Calla E., Anna V., and J. Cliff.

Mr. SPANGLER removed to his present farm in 1870, and here owns and operates three hundred and forty acres of valuable land, which is under a high state of cultivation and well improved. He follows farming and stockraising and his systematic methods, industry and honorable dealing have brought to him a handsome competence. He has served as school director and road commissioner and is deeply interested in all that pertains to the welfare and advancement of the county, where his entire life has been passed.

Extracted May 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.


Visit Our Neighbors
Bureau Putnam
Stark La Salle
Peoria Woodford
Search the Archives