Marshall County
ILGenWeb

ROBINSON, A. J.

A. J. ROBINSON, who follows farming on section 3, Granville township, was born in La Salle county near the Putnam county line, March 12, 1850. His boyhood days were spent on the home farm and in the district schools. His parents were James and Sophia (RICHEY) ROBINSON, both of whom were natives of Ohio. In 1833 they became residents of La Salle county, Illinois, being among the earliest families of that part of the state. They located upon a farm where they spent their subsequent years and through a long period were prominent in the community where they resided. Mr. ROBINSON was among those who aided in laying broad and deep the foundations for the present development and progress of the county and co-operated in many of the events which have left their impress upon the pioneer history of his portion of the state. His wife died at the comparatively early age of forty-four years and Mr. ROBINSON long survived, passing away at the age of eighty-three. In their family were nine children, eight of whom are yet living.

After attending the district schools A. J. ROBINSON profited by three years' instruction in the state normal, after which he engaged in teaching in Putnam county, following that profession for five years. He was then married on the 27th of December, 1882, to Miss Ellen BARNARD, who was born in Vermont, a daughter of Charles E. BARNARD, mention of whom is made elsewhere in this volume. Following his marriage Mr. ROBINSON rented a farm in La Salle county and a year later purchased a tract of land of sixty acres in that county, cultivating it for three years, when he invested in three hundred and twenty acres on section 3, Granville township, Putnam county. This was an improved farm and he at once took up the task of further cultivating the fields. Subsequently he sold one hundred and sixty acres of the land. He has erected upon the place a substantial residence and good farm buildings and in addition to this property he now owns one hundred and sixty-five acres in Hennepin township. He is engaged in general farming and stock-raising, also feeding cattle and hogs, and for five years he has put up ice, which he supplies to the trade in Granville. This year, owing to the mild winter of 1905-6 and to the excessive heat of the past summer, which has made the demand so much greater, his supply of ice has been completely exhausted and he has therefore made shipments from Wisconsin. Recently he has erected a commodious modern residence upon his farm, which is a splendidly equipped property and indicates his careful supervision and progressive methods.

Unto Mr. and Mrs. ROBINSON have been born four children: Candace, who was graduated in 1906 from the state university and is now engaged in teaching; Anna, who is a graduate of the Granville high school of the class of 1906 and is now a student in the Northwestern University, and Earl and Charles, both at home.

Fraternally Mr. ROBINSON is connected with the Modern Woodmen of America and his family belong to the Congregational church. He has always been a republican, but has aspired to no office, nor has he held positions of official preferment save that of school director. His deep interest in the cause of education has prompted him to undertake the duties of that position, which are most important, for the establishment and maintenance of good schools and the employment of competent teachers is something which cannot be over-estimated in its value as a preparation for good citizenship. In fact, Mr. ROBINSON stands for progress along all those lines which work for the development of the individual and the community in ways that are beneficial and far-reaching.

Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.


Visit Our Neighbors
Bureau Putnam
Stark La Salle
Peoria Woodford
Search the Archives