Henry MARSHALL is a retired farmer of Sparland, who, though he has put aside the active work of the fields, still owns a valuable and well improved farm of two hundred and forty acres in Saratoga township. He was born in North New Castle, England, January 3, 1842. His father, Francis MARSHALL, was likewise a native of England and came to the United States in 1852, crossing the Atlantic on a sailing vessel. He located first in Philadelphia, where he was employed in a blacksmith shop, and later he removed to Pottsville, Pennsylvania, where he secured employment in a large machine shop. After remaining for a year in this country he sent for his family, who joined him in Pennsylvania. In 1854 he came west to Illinois, settling in Peoria, where he worked in a distillery for two years, and on the expiration of that period he removed to La Prairie, where he established a shop which he conducted for more than thirty-five years, when, becoming too old to work, he removed to Sparland and lived retired, making his home with his son Henry. He was the owner of eighty acres of good land, having made judicious investment in property. His political allegiance was given to the republican party. He died in 1892 after a residence of forty years in the new world. His wife, who bore the maiden name of Jennie WILSON, was born in England and was a devoted member of the Methodist church. In the family were five children: Elizabeth; Henry; Mary Ann, deceased; and Isabelle and Francis, who died in infancy.
Henry MARSHALL spent his early boyhood days in his native country, coming to the new world when about eleven years of age. Not long after the father removed with his family to Illinois, settling in Marshall county, where he was reared. He afterward worked in a machine shop in Peoria for two years and then removed to Saratoga township, Marshall county, where he was employed for two years in a blacksmith shop. In 1859 he turned his attention to farming, which he carried on successfully for a long period, but is now living retired in Sparland, having a good income from his farm of two hundred and forty acres of well improved land situated near Camp Grove. The soil is rich and productive and he derives from the rental of his place a very gratifying income.
Mr. MARSHALL was united in marriage to Mrs. Frieda KLINE, who was born in province of Posen, in the northern part of Germany, January 12, 1858. She is a daughter of William and Louise (MOOTZ) ARNDT and was one of a family of eight children, namely: Rosalie, deceased; Ernest; Emil; Louise, deceased; Herman; Amelia; Frieda; and William, who has passed away. Both Mr. and Mrs. MARSHALL are consistent Christian people, the former belonging to the Methodist church and the latter to the Baptist church. His political support is given the republican party and fraternally he is connected with the Masonic lodge, No. 441, at Sparland. Both are highly esteemed by all who know them and their friends are many. Mr. MARSHALL from early boyhood has depended upon his own resources for a living and has through his own diligence, capable management and enterprise worked his way upward to success.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.