Prominent among the business men of Wenona are numbered Hodge Brothers, bankers, and the enterprise which they are now conducting is regarded as one of the safest moneyed concerns of this part of the state. It was organized in 1886 and conducted as the First National Bank of Wenona. The stock of the First National Bank being purchased in 1902 by L. J. Hodge & Sons, the bank was then conducted under the firm style of L. J. Hodge & Sons, but another change in the partnership occasioned the change in the name to the present style of Hodge Brothers. The partners are George O. and John W. H. HODGE, who are now successfully conducting a private institution, doing a general banking business. Back of this they have four thousand acres of land adjoining the town of Wenona. which affords ample security.
The brothers are native sons of Wenona, and are well known here, where they have a large and favorable acquaintance. George O. HODGE was born July 7, 1867, and John W. H. HODGE on the 1st of November, 1869. Both attended the public schools and have always lived in Wenona, where they are known as business men, alert, enterprising and progressive. They conduct a bank along modern lines, are watchful of opportunities pointing to success and in utilizing the advantages which have come to them have broadened the scope of their activity and at the same time have maintained a moneyed institution which is a credit to the city.
Both brothers are married and have families. George O. HODGE in 1893 wedded Mary E. STATELER, a daughter of A. H. STATELER, a prominent resident of Marshall county, and unto them has been born a daughter, Elvira Permelia. John W. H. HODGE was married to Virginia LAW, of Henry, Illinois, and they have three children: Lura Virginia, John Law and George Frederick. The records of these brothers stand in contradistinction to the old adage that a prophet is never without honor save in his own country, for in the place of their nativity they have so directed their labors as to gain recognition as men of ability and to win in their banking business a public patronage which makes them" successful representatives of the financial interests of the county.
Extracted July 2011 by Norma Hass from
Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties