George GREEN, who for many years was connected with agricultural pursuits in
Whitefield township and was one of the prominent and respected residents o
the county, was born in Saratoga county, new York, September 17, 1827. His
parents were Philip and Nancy (ADDINGTON) GREEN, whose family numbered
twelve children. In 1837 they removed with their family to Illinois,
settling in Peoria county, where Enoch George GREEN remained until 1849. He
was educated in the public schools of New York and Illinois, arriving in the
latter state when a youth of ten years. On leaving Peoria county in 1849 he
removed to a farm in Henry township, Marshall county, where he resided for
several years and then took up his residence in the city of Henry, being
engaged in the lumber business at that place for some time. He afterward
removed to a farm in Whitefield township, where he owned two hundred and
forty acres of land, and successfully carried on general agricultural
pursuits, placing his land under a high state of cultivation, so that it
became very productive and profitable.
On the 20th of November, 1849, was celebrated the marriage of Mr. GREEN and Miss Harriet M. COYKENDALL, who was born at Bakers Bridge in Allegany county, New York, November 20, 1832. She is a daughter of J. B. COYKENDALL, who was born in New Jersey and was a blacksmith by trade. He came to Illinois in 1836 and settled six miles north of Canton, where he owned a large farm and in connection with its cultivation conducted a blacksmith shop upon his place. Later, however, he concentrated his energies upon his agricultural interests. His political allegiance was given to the democracy, of which he was a stanch advocate. He married Miss Rhoda ROBERTS, a native of Rhode Island. The COYKENDALL family arrived here a year before the removal of the GREENs from New York and settled on a farm about two miles from the GREEN home.
Unto Mr. and Mrs. COYKENDALL were born nine children, five sons and four daughters, of whom one daughter died in infancy. Five of the eight children who reached maturity became school teachers and two were quite prominent. Elizabeth died at the age of thirty-eight years. Mrs. Mary Catherine GRAYSON, who engaged in teaching for twenty-five years, lives at Russell, Iowa. She and her husband own a large farm and also good town property and are now living retired. D. B. and A. J. COYKENDALL followed the blacksmith’s trade and died near Canton, Illinois. Jonathan COYKENDALL learned harness making and saddlery in his youth and went to St. Louis and New York to perfect his trade. In 1849, during the gold excitement on the Pacific slope, he paid one hundred dollars to join a company and drove an ox team across the plains and at length arrived at Hangtown. For some time he engaged in mining in the vicinity of Diamond Springs and from there to Alamath and Salmon river, where he met with an accident, his leg being broken twice by the caving in of dirt. As there was no physician in the locality he and his partner had to set it, but as he said that not being in their line of business they did not do a very good job. Returning east he established a store at Farmington, Illinois, where he dealt in clothing, boots and shoes and took out a patent for a dirt excluder shoe, which proved a success. He could not, however, forget sunny California and finally returned to that state, locating in San Jose, where he purchased a market and engaged in the wholesale meat business, dealing in hams, bacon and lard. At first he had to go to Chicago for his meats. Later he erected a magnificent brick market, which was mostly destroyed by the recent earthquake. Besides his city property he owned a fine fruit ranch and was always proud of the fact that he a “forty-niner.” Being thrown form his carriage he had the same leg broken again and never recovered from the injury, dying ten weeks later. His funeral was under the auspices of the Pioneer Society and the Masons and his body was cremated and interred in Cypress Lawn cemetery, San Francisco. John R. and Horatio G. COYKENDALL were born and reared on the home farm in this state and attended the neighboring schools. When the Civil war broke out they enlisted in the First Illinois Cavalry and were captured by the Confederates. John R. was made captain of Company G in the regiment commanded by Colonel Robert INGERSOLL and remained in the service until the close of the war. He now lives in Piedmont, Oklahoma. Horatio G. also won a captaincy for meritorious service in many a hard fought battle. After the war he engaged in railroad building on an extensive scale, building more miles of railroad than any man living at that time. His home life was exemplary. He possessed a kind and sympathetic nature and was a consistent Christian and worthy citizen. He was a man of iron will and great energy – a typical man of the northwest, his home being at Merriam Park, St. Paul, Minnesota. He died from the effects of an operation for gallstones at Rochester, that state. Socially he was a member of Minnesota Commandery of the Military Order of the Loyal Legion of the United States.
Mr. and Mrs. GREEN became the parents of eight children, but only two are now living, namely: Charles A., who lives with his mother in Whitefield township; and Minnie Hortense, the wife of C. C. SMITH, of Henry. Those deceased are Lizzie, who died at the age of ten years; and Lula, Lillie, Dolly, Phoebe and Ernest, who all died in infancy. After a useful and well spent life Mr. GREEN passed away on the 3d of June, 1895, when he was sixty-eight years of age. He held a number of different offices and was very prominent and influential in local affairs. His service as justice of the peace won him the title of squire, by which he was sometimes known. He gave his political allegiance to the republican party and bore a conspicuous and helpful part in matters relating to the general welfare. He ever bore a high reputation for ability, loyalty and integrity and wherever known he commanded the respect and confidence of his fellow citizens and of all with whom he had business or social relations. Coming to Illinois at an early period in its development, he was an interested witness of its growth and progress for many years and was entirely familiar with pioneer experiences and the history of this portion of the state at an early day.
Extracted 10 May 2011 by Norma Hass from Past and Present of Marshall and Putnam Counties Illinois, 1907.