Marshall County
ILGenWeb

CAMP, Eliza A.

Eliza A. CAMP, nee HAM, widow of Abner CAMP, is one of the honored and highly esteemed residents of Henry, Illinois. She was born in Dover, New Hampshire, April 27, 1817, and is a daughter of Titus and Nancy (PURSE) HAM, natives of New Hampshire and Massachusetts respectively. She is descended from good old revolutionary stock, her paternal grandfather having aided the colonies in their struggle for independence, while her father was a valiant soldier of the war of 1812. By occupation the latter was a farmer, and was a man widely and favorably known. He died at Dover, New Hampshire, as did also his faithful wife. In their family were eight children, two sons and six daughters, of whom four are still living. Mary, a sister of our subject, is the wife of David LITTLEFIELD, of New Hampshire; Louisa is the widow of Leander HOUGH, and a resident of Massachusetts; and Carrie E. completes the family.

Since 1852, Mrs. CAMP has been a resident of Henry, Illinois, where was celebrated her marriage with Abner CAMP in 1853. He was a native of New York, and from 1870, until 1887, conducted a hotel at Henry, of which place he was an old and respected resident. In politics he was an ardent republican, and was a great temperance worker. He was well known and honored throughout the community as a man of inflexible honor and stability of character.

Two children were born to Mr. and Mrs. CAMP: Clara Belle, who is with her mother, and Charles A., who is now conducting the Camp house. He married Miss Ella S. LEECH, a native of Hennepin, Illinois, and to them was born a son, Ivan C., who was born in 1882, and died in 1887. The primary education of Charles A. CAMP was obtained in the public schools of Henry, and he later attended Grand Prairie seminary, where he was graduated in 1875. Two years later he took charge of the hotel, which he has since successfully carried on. Since Mr. CAMP took charge of the Camp hotel, he has made many improvements, among which is a bath house, where the luxury of a hot sulphur bath can always be had. The camp house is widely known for its good table and hospitable management, and is the leading and most popular hostelry of the city and county. He is a recognized leader in the republican party of this community, and on that ticket was twice elected alderman of Henry. He is now acceptably serving his second year as mayor of the city. The system of putting down permanent cement walks was inaugurated by Mayor CAMP and has been pretty thoroughly carried out, and few cities in the state are supplied with better sidewalks. He also had established a curb line which was a much needed reform. The manner in which its various public interests are being managed and adjusted gives ample evidence of the efficiency and good judgment of its present head.

Extracted May 2011 by Norma Hass from The Biographical Record of Bureau, Marshall and Putnam Counties, Illinois, 1896.


Visit Our Neighbors
Bureau Putnam
Stark La Salle
Peoria Woodford
Search the Archives